Urology is a surgical specialty which deals with diseases of the male and female urinary tract and the male reproductive organs. Within this realm, the Urologist has to deal with a wide range of health problems. In addition to “General Adult Urology” there are several sub specialized areas in Urology. Northwest’s Urologists are trained to take care of urinary tract problems of adult males and females, as well as children. Urology also covers the reproductive system in the male, thus enabling us to treat problems of infertility.
Urology department in Northwest General Hospital and Research Center is one of the most well-equipped and advanced centers in the country.
The department has two senior Urologists, working in close collaboration with each other for the best care and outcome of the patients.
The department offers all surgeries and procedures of Urological nature. Apart from the routine open surgeries, advanced Laparoscopic Surgeries (operations through small cuts in the abdomen with the help of a camera) and Endoscopic surgeries (operations through natural urine passage with the help of an endoscopic camera) are also carried out. This is one of the first few centers in the country to start removing kidney stones with PCNL and mini PCNL(removing stones from the kidney through a small tube into the kidney from the back). The Department has trained many Urologists from the Khyber-Pakhtunhwa province and Afghanistan in this procedure.
Following is a list of Surgeries and Procedures offered by the Department:
1. Laparoscopic Surgeries:
- Nephrectomy both simple and Radical,
- Cholecystectomy etc.
2. Bladder Surgeries:
- Flexible cystoscopy
- Bladder biopsies
- Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumors (TURBT)
- Bladder Neck Incision
- Cystolitholepaxy (removal of bladder stones with the help of Endoscopic Camera).
3. Urethral Surgeries:
- Internal Optical Urethrotomy
- Hypospedious repair
4. Prostate Surgeries:
- TURP(endoscopic surgery of prostate)
- Prostate biopsy
5. Ureter Surgeries:
- URS (Ureteroscopic Removal of Stone
- Removal of stones in the tube coming from kidney to bladder with the help of Camera and LASER as well Pneumatic lithoclast)
- Ureter stricture surgeries etc.
6. Uro gynaecological surgeries:
- VVF Repair (Vesico-Vaginal Fistula)
7. Kidney Surgeries:
- mini PCNL
- Pyeloplasty both open and laparoscopic
- Nephrectomy both laparoscopic and open
- RIRS (Retrograde Intra Renal Surgeries) i.e. surgery in the kidney with help of a soft endoscopic camera)
8. Vascular Access Surgeries:
- AVF (Arterio Venous Fistula for dialysis patients).
- ESWL or SWL (Breaking of kidney stones with a machine without operation and anaesthesia)