The Medical Professional Education Department, Northwest General Hospital (NWGH) in collaboration with the American Heart Association (AHA) Pakistan, has arranged an AHA-certified Basic Life Support (BLS) workshop on January 17, 2024, for consultants and postgraduate trainees, at Northwest General Hospital and Research Centre.
The workshop covered the following key aspects of BLS:
• High-quality CPR for adults, children, and infants.
• The AHA Chain of Survival, specifically the BLS components.
• Important early use of an AED.
• Effective ventilations using a barrier device.
• Importance of teams in multi-rescuer resuscitation and performance as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR.
• Relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants.
Two consultants and four Postgraduate trainees from various departments, including General Medicine, General Surgery, Urology, and Neurology have successfully completed the course. Their achievement highlights their commitment to advancing their knowledge and skills in life-saving techniques.
Participants expressed their satisfaction with the workshop, commending the workshop’s content relevance, the expertise of the instructors, and the hands-on nature of the training. The positive feedback underscores the success of this collaborative effort.
This accomplishment signifies not only the enhancement of the capabilities of healthcare professionals but also marks the beginning of potential future initiatives to further elevate the standards of medical care in the region. The collaboration between Northwest General Hospital and the American Heart Association Pakistan continues to pave the way for impactful and progressive educational endeavours within the healthcare community.